English Reflective Report (Melissa Low)


From this experience, the first thing that comes into my head when I think of what I have gained throughout this course of involvement with DIB is that I have become closer, in a sense, with my group members. I have gathered memories from the journey to the restaurant from campus, finding the cafe, observing the environment of the cafe to putting down in words our findings. Being put in a group with three other individuals from different culture backgrounds has definitely been an experience of a lifetime for myself, in particular. I feel that a bond has been formed between my group members and I as we had a lot of time spent together throughout the course of this assignment.
The next thing that I feel that I have gained from this experience and has definitely changed me is my eyes have now been opened to the deaf community. Growing up, I have always been made aware of the existence of this community and other communities of the disable. Yet, I was still in the shadows of how important it is that we, the society, should start taking initiatives to welcome the members of the deaf community with open arms. It is our duty to ensure that the needs of the members of this community is known and met at all times. After reading up about Dr. Allen Teh, I have a new found respect for the man and all his efforts in making the society aware of the needs of the deaf community. This man has single handed-ly taken all the needed initiative to ensure that the deaf community does not go unheard by the society. In my opinion, I believe that starting up a cafe that hires the members of the deaf community is a brilliant idea. It is not only innovative but he is carrying out his social responsibility that benefits not only himself, but everyone else.






Powered by Blogger.