English Reflective Report (Yu Qing)

During the panel discussion on factors which may boost the motivation of employees in DIB, I was assigned to be in a group with two other course-mates which I rarely had the opportunity to interact with, Sally and Halimi. Our roles were allocated by Mr. Eddren and we were given 2 minutes to prepare and present our point of views. As an outlet manager, my task was to highlight the introduction of badges as a form of recognition to employees and include monetary rewards as a method to induce employee's motivation. The constraint in time had affect the concretization of my points, however this experience have made me discovered the importance of time management under stressful situations.

Brushing the disappointment with a façade of calmness, I eagerly opened my ears to Sally and Halimi's presentation. Sally was the general manager who emphasized on team activities and weekend trips as a motivation boosting scheme. Halimi, the head server, stressed the importance of job rotation and weekly meetings. The diversification of views have led to an eventful debate which was truly remarkable to me. However, we finally agreed upon daily meetings instead of weekly meetings due to several drawbacks. This experience have made me realize the importance teamwork due to differing perspective from others. I am glad to be able to work with my team as we are able to analyse and interpret the points and conclude on the best outcome in a short duration of time. Taylor’s Business School had given me the opportunity to experience the real business world to me in future, I am truly grateful.

I have learnt that good interpersonal skills is important in business. After all, business is all about networking and communicating with others. I have learnt to negotiate and compromise with others to prevent the destruction of relationship between peers. I am glad that Mr Eddren had assigned us to a different group of members instead of cluttering in own respective groups. Living in Malaysia, clustering in our own groups of friends is considered as a culture; acting as a force-field which suppress the feeling of welcome from others. I wish to express my gratitude towards Mr Eddren for providing me the opportunity to bond between my peers. It was an unforgettable and fun practice which I hope to experience in the future.
Powered by Blogger.